Daniel A. Klemptner is an attorney in the Litigation Defense section of the firm. Prior to joining the firm, he worked as an Assistant City Attorney in the City of Flint Department of Law, where he gained invaluable, first-hand experience defending police practices, constitutional rights, employment, automobile negligence, premises liability, municipal, and zoning/planning cases. While employed with the City of Flint, Dan also handled various internal compliance matters including all responses to requests made pursuant to the Freedom of Information Act, discrimination/harassment in the workplace complaints, and protecting his client's interests during the course of EEOC, MDCR, and USDOJ investigations.
Since joining the firm, Dan has successfully defended the interests of municipalities, governmental agencies, and private businesses in a wide variety of civil lawsuits involving employment matters, law enforcement liability, civil rights violations, and other liability issues.
Dan is currently an adjunct faculty member at the Oakland Community College's Fire Technology Institute, where he teaches the course "Legal Considerations in the Fire Service."
- Constitutional Law and Civil Rights
- Employment and Labor
- General Municipal Law
- Taxes and Assessing
- Western Michigan University Cooley Law School, J.D., 2005
- University of Michigan, B.A., 2002
Professional Activities / Memberships
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
- Genesee County Bar Association
- Oakland County Bar Association
Admitted to Practice
- All courts in the State of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- United States Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Selected to Super Lawyers Rising Stars by Thomson Reuters, Employment and Labor Law, 2013-2018
- Listed in Crain's Detroit Business Top Attorneys Rising Stars in Michigan, 2015
Publications / Presentations
- Featured speaker, "Social Media for Municipalities," Oakland County Bar Association Municipal Law Committee, October, 2016
- Co-Author of "The 'Sign' of Change: The Impact of Reed v. Town of Gilbert On Local Sign Regulations," Michigan Public Risk Management Association newsletter, August 2016
- Featured speaker, Law Enforcement Advisory Committee Meeting of the Michigan Municipal Risk Management Authority, "Our Ordinances Will Never Be the Same, How the Supreme Court's Decision in Reed v. Town of Gilbert Will Affect Local Sign Regulation," October 2015
- Author of "Discovery Violations Involving Electronically-Stored Information: The Current Trend of Federal Court Cases Relevant to Municipalities," Public Corporation Law Quarterly, Spring 2011
- Co-presenter at the 2014 Risk Management Workshop regarding Policies and Agency Use of Social Media
- Presenter of “Technology Dos and Don’ts,” 2013 Winter Meeting of the Michigan Municipal Risk Management Authority
- Featured Speaker, 2013 Summer Meeting of the Michigan Department of Natural Resources – Law Enforcement Division, "Legal Update Regarding the Law of Search and Arrest"
- Featured Speaker at Joint Committee Meetings of the Michigan Municipal Risk Management Authority, "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, in Litigation," 2010, 2011, and 2013
- Featured Speaker at the 2012 Year-End Meeting of the Oakland County Fire Mutual Aid Association, "How Recent Legislation Impacts an Employer’s Ability to Monitor Employees’ Internet Use"
- Presented "Social Media in the Work-Space," State of Michigan Telecommunications Directors & Supervisors Annual Training Seminar, October 2012
- Featured Speaker at Michigan Municipal Risk Management Authority Training Workshop, “Handling Electronically-Stored Information – Understanding Your Technology, Digital Discovery and Employee Use of Social Media in the Workplace,” April 2012
- Author of "Defending Police Officers - From Chase to Arrest and After," Public Corporation Law Quarterly, Spring 2009
- Case Law Updates, Planning & Zoning News, State Bar of Michigan Public Corporation Law Quarterly
- Former Police Recruit Instructor - Flint Regional Police Academy