Laura S. Amtsbuechler is a shareholder practicing in the area of liability defense. Laura has extensive trial experience representing municipalities, individuals and businesses. She is also a trained mediator. She has successfully litigated cases involving employment, civil rights, torts and contracts. Her primary practice is in the area of employment law. Laura has represented municipalities throughout the state on a wide variety of employment matters. This experience has given her valuable knowledge and insight into issues faced by both public and private sector employers.
- Constitutional Law and Civil Rights
- Employment and Labor
- Insurance Defense
- General Municipal Law
- Mediation Services
Experience / Expertise
- Employment Litigation
- Employment-related Investigations
- Assistant Prosecuting Attorney for Oakland County, 1984-1986
- Extensive Trial Experience
- Mediation / Facilitation
- University of Detroit, J.D., 1984
- Albion College, 1981
Professional Activities / Memberships
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Michigan Defense Trial Counsel
- Selected to Thomson Reuters Super Lawyers in the areas of Employment Litigation: Defense, Government/Cities/Municipalities, 2011 – 2021.
- Named Top Lawyer by DBusiness and Hour Magazine, Labor and Employment Law, 2010, 2017, 2021 and 2022.
Publications / Presentations
See All Representative Cases for Laura
- Presenter, State Bar of Michigan Government Law Section, 2020 Winter Educational Seminar, “Internal Investigations: The Who, What, When & How,” February 2020
- Presenter, Michigan Paid Medical Leave Act, Michigan Township Association conference, April 2019
- Presenter, ICLE Labor & Employment Law Institute, Real Practice Track, "Settlement Negotiations; Demos and Debriefing," 2017
- Co-authored ICLE's "Damages and Remedies in Michigan (4th Ed.): Chapter 6, Employment Damages."
- Co-presenter at the ICLE web seminar on Discovery in Employment Law Cases, 2017
- Co-presenter at the Michigan Municipal Risk Management Authority Winter Workshop, "EEOC Claims & Avoiding Hostile Work Environments," 2016
- Co-presenter, Risk Management Workshop, "Policies and Agency Use of Social Media," 2014
- Co-presenter, Michigan Township Association Legal Institute, "New Problems in Employment Law," 2014
- Co-presenter, Annual MAMA/PCLS Summer Education Conference, "New Developments in Employment Law — ADA, FMLA and Workers Compensation," August 3, 2013
- Presenter at Michigan Public Risk Management Association, 2011 Fall Educational Program, "Terminations Due to Budgetary Issues/Position Eliminations," November 3, 2011
- Presenter at the MMRMA Winter Meeting, "Downsize/Terminate/Layoff - What to Say," March 3, 2011
- Presenter at the MMRMA Winter Meeting, "Termination and Effective Discipline," March 4, 2010
- Co-Presenter, Michigan Municipal Risk Management Authority, Winter Meeting at Lansing, "Whistleblower Protection Act Issues," March 5, 2009
- Presenter, Michigan Association of Municipal Attorneys in Petosky, "Termination: The Process, the Issues and the Agreement," September 30, 2008
- Presenter, Public Corporation Law Section, 2003 Winter Meeting and Summer 2006 Meeting, "Employment Retaliation and Related Issues"
- Appeared in nationally award-winning training video "Anatomy of a Lawsuit," regarding the litigation process
- Presenter, one-day workshop regarding electronic record disclosure and discovery, January 2007
- Published articles regarding electronic data discovery in litigation