Laura S. Amtsbuechler is a shareholder practicing in the area of liability defense. Laura has extensive trial experience representing municipalities, individuals and businesses. She is also a trained mediator. She has successfully litigated cases involving employment, civil rights, torts and contracts. Her primary practice is in the area of employment law. Laura has represented municipalities throughout the state on a wide variety of employment matters. This experience has given her valuable knowledge and insight into issues faced by both public and private sector employers.
- Constitutional Law/Civil Rights
- Employment and Labor
- Insurance Defense
- Municipal Law
- Mediation Services
Experience / Expertise
- Employment Litigation
- Employment-related Investigations
- Assistant Prosecuting Attorney for Oakland County, 1984-1986
- Extensive Trial Experience
- Mediation / Facilitation
- University of Detroit, J.D., 1984
- Albion College, 1981
Professional Activities / Memberships
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Michigan Defense Trial Counsel
- Selected to Thomson Reuters Super Lawyers in the areas of Employment Litigation: Defense, Government/Cities/Municipalities, General Litigation (2011 - 2017)
- Listed in Top Lawyers, Hour Magazine and Dbusiness, Southeast Michigan's Journal for Business (2010)
Publications / Presentations
See All Case Studies for Laura
- Co-presenter at the 2016 Michigan Municipal Risk Management Authority Winter Workshop, "EEOC Claims & Avoiding Hostile Work Environments"
- Co-presenter, 2014 Risk Management Workshop, "Policies and Agency Use of Social Media"
- Co-presenter, Michigan Township Association 2014 Legal Institute, "New Problems in Employment Law"
- Co-presenter, Annual MAMA/PCLS Summer Education Conference, "New Developments in Employment Law — ADA, FMLA and Workers Compensation," August 3, 2013
- Presenter at Michigan Public Risk Management Association, 2011 Fall Educational Program, "Terminations Due to Budgetary Issues/Position Eliminations," November 3, 2011
- Presenter at the MMRMA Winter Meeting, "Downsize/Terminate/Layoff - What to Say," March 3, 2011
- Presenter at the MMRMA Winter Meeting, "Termination and Effective Discipline," March 4, 2010
- Co-Presenter, Michigan Municipal Risk Management Authority, Winter Meeting at Lansing, "Whistleblower Protection Act Issues," March 5, 2009
- Presenter, Michigan Association of Municipal Attorneys in Petosky, "Termination: The Process, the Issues and the Agreement," September 30, 2008
- Presenter, Public Corporation Law Section, 2003 Winter Meeting and Summer 2006 Meeting, "Employment Retaliation and Related Issues"
- Appeared in nationally award-winning training video "Anatomy of a Lawsuit," regarding the litigation process
- Presenter, one-day workshop regarding electronic record disclosure and discovery, January 2007
- Published articles regarding electronic data discovery in litigation