Marcelyn A. Stepanski
Marcelyn A. Stepanski is a Shareholder specializing in state and federal appellate practice and complex brief writing. She represents municipalities and other governmental bodies throughout the State of Michigan and has successfully advocated their interests in the United States Supreme Court, the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, and all appellate courts in Michigan. She concentrates her efforts in the areas of constitutional/civil rights litigation, employment law, police liability defense, zoning and land use, and general municipal law.
Marcie is a highly regarded Amicus Curiae counsel and has zealously represented clients in that capacity in the Supreme Court, achieving excellent results and assisting in positively shaping the State’s jurisprudence. She also is active in the legislative realm, having contributed to draft legislation which became favorable law. Marcie takes a meticulous approach through comprehensive research, thoughtful analysis, and persuasive presentation, while also taking care to consider an appeal’s broader policy implications on the client.
A 1990 graduate of Wayne State University Law School, Marcie is admitted to practice in all state courts in Michigan as well as the United States District Courts for both the Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan, the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, and the United States Supreme Court. She has participated in hundreds of published and unpublished cases emanating from state and federal courts.
She has presented seminars on municipal defense matters and the admissibility of evidence, is an annual co-author or contributor to various governmental updates and is a frequent consultant on matters involving governmental agencies, state and federal immunity, and police liability. She is on the Council of the Appellate Practice Section of the State Bar of Michigan. During her career, she has represented indigent clients and performed pro bono work for non-profit agencies. Marcie is actively involved in her community, her children’s schools, and local athletic organizations.
- Appellate Advocacy
- Constitutional Law and Civil Rights
- Employment and Labor
- Insurance Defense
- Zoning and Land Use
- General Municipal Law
- Wayne State University Law School, J.D., 1990
- Central Michigan University, B.S. magna cum laude, 1987
Professional Activities / Memberships
- State Bar of Michigan
Member since 1990
Appellate Practice Section
- American Bar Association
Admitted to Practice
- All courts in the State of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- International Municipal Lawyers Association Amicus Service Award, 2016
Publications / Presentations
- Participated in hundreds of published and unpublished state and federal cases
- Presenter on municipal defense matters and the admissibility of evidence
- Annual Co-Author of Michigan Governmental Immunity Update
- Contributor to Michigan Municipal Law, published by ICLE 2012
- Contributor to manual on Michigan Whistleblower’s Protection Act
- Contributor to Michigan Appellate Practice Section’s legal updates
See All Representative Cases for Marcie