Joellen Shortley has provided legal advice and counsel to municipal elected officials and departments for over twenty years. She is particularly experienced in negotiating complex contracts and resolving vendor disputes to avoid service interruptions. She has written numerous policies in areas such as tax increment financing, use of technology, social media use and intellectual property.
Joellen has registered numerous servicemarks and copyrights, as well as protected against their infringement, particularly in use on the Internet. She is very experienced with use of technology transactions such as system implementation and data security concerns. She is also experienced in election law matters.
- General Municipal Law
- The University of Michigan, B.A., Economics
- Walsh College, S., Finance
- University of Detroit Mercy, Juris Doctor
- Cooley Law School, now part of Western Michigan University, LLM, Intellectual Property
- State Bar of Michigan
Information Technology Member and Past Chairperson
Government Law Section Member
Admitted to Practice
- State of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- Written policies and agreements that received awards from the National Association of Counties and recognition from the Government Finance Officers Association.
- Ladies of Charity Member
- St. Hugo of the Hills Church Committee Member